The peripheral symptoms associated with familial amyloid polyneuropathy include sensations in the feet that range from numbness to burning. Caregivers looking for ways to provide temporary relief from peripheral neuropathy foot pain might consider foot massage tools as an ancillary treatment.
The benefits of using a foot massager
Foot massage is an excellent way to address the discomfort caused by peripheral neuropathy symptoms. The cost of hiring a massage therapist may be prohibitive, but a foot massage tool could be a cost-efficient and convenient way to relieve foot pain at home.
The potential benefits to be gained from home foot massagers include:
- increased energy
- improved circulation and blood flow
- pain relief
- stress relief
- improved functionality in the feet
When a foot massager is unsuitable
A foot massager can be uncomfortable for some patients, depending on their degree of peripheral neuropathy. My mother-in-law’s pain is so intense that she cannot handle anything touching her feet. Caregivers should be aware of their loved one’s level of foot pain before considering a massager.
Some foot massagers use heat to stimulate the feet, and caregivers of patients with severe numbness should exercise caution with them, as there is a risk of burning. Additionally, massagers that have a deep-kneading function may exacerbate circulation issues.
Please consult your doctor before proceeding with a purchase of a foot massager.
I did some research online and found three massagers that might be helpful for peripheral neuropathy foot pain:
- MedMassager MMF06 11 Speed Foot Massager: This electric massager is powerful, offering a range of 11 speeds. It features an oscillating footpad, an arch bar, and a pressure point-targeting surface. This foot massager does not feature a heat option.
- Cloud Massage: This massager works on calves as well as feet, and features deep kneading and an adjustable bar. The settings for this medical-grade massager include heat and air compression.
- Miko Shiatsu Foot Massager: This affordable foot massage tool features two wireless remotes, two foot chambers, and five pressure settings, with functions such as deep kneading, heat, and shiatsu rolling, It also has a low price point that is appealing to cost-conscious patients and caregivers.
Note: FAP News Today is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of FAP News Today or its parent company, BioNews Services, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to familial amyloid polyneuropathy.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?